Notice

Colin Mills, compiler of the Hortus Camdenensis, died in late November 2012 after a short illness. As he always considered the Hortus his legacy, it is his family's intention to keep the site running in perpetuity. It will not, however, be updated in the near future.

Lycopodium myrtifolium G.Forst.

Clubmoss with erect stems, to 20cm, and crowded, lance-shaped, dark green leaves, leaves.  Usually founding crevices or rock ledges, or as an epiphyte on tree ferns.  [Jones & Clemesha, FNSW].

Horticultural & Botanical History

No data.

History at Camden Park

Probably the plant listed in the 1850 and 1857 catalogues as Lycopodium caesium [H.136/1850], although plants of Lycopodium umbrosum were also obtained from the Sydney Botanic Garden on 17th October 1853 so we can be certain that it was grown in the gardens [RBGS AB].  Lycopodium caesium is one of a number of plants received from Captain Simpson in late 1849 or early 1850, apparently on the same ship as those accompanying Captain P. P. King.  On the confirmnatory list sent to King it is recorded as Lycopodium sp. (caesium?).  The source is unclear.  [ML A1980-3].  A handwritten note in a copy of the 1850 catalogue in the Mitchell Library collection appears to clarify the name of Lycopodium caesium as umbrosum, hence the possibility that this plant is Lycopodium umbrosum R.Br.  The copy of the catalogue is inscribed on the front Wm. Macarthur 23rd Dec. 1854.  [ML 635.9m].  [RBGS AB].  See also Lycopodium caesium Hort.

Notes

Published Feb 11, 2009 - 02:45 PM | Last updated Jul 25, 2010 - 04:39 PM

Family Lycopodiaceae
Category
Region of origin

Australia and New Zealand

Synonyms

 

  • Lycopodium varium var. umbrosum R.Br.
  • Lycopodium umbrosum R.Br.
Common Name

Long Clubmoss

Name in the Camden Park Record

Lycopodium umbrosum 

Confidence level

high